January 10, 2007

Ice Breaker

A lot of my friends and I have moved away from each other since school. With a houndstooth hat covering my smooth head and my wig packed away, I boarded a plane for a friend's wedding. This would be the first time that one of my best friend's would see me since the hair loss. She is always supportive of my crazy adventures, but I do not think she knew exactly what I would look like.

Our meeting at the airport was perfectly normal. Most people that have not seen me in a while do not know quite what to say about my condition. I look the same and yet I am missing my thick head of hair. We drove to her place talking like we had never been apart, and yet there was little discussion about how I looked.

Then, a funny moment broke the ice. She lived in a third floor apartment and on the second flight of stairs we passed a man who gave us a funny look. Here I was, the bald girl, lugging a big piece of luggage while my friend had only a little purse in hand. Once in the apartment, we laughed hysterically wondering what the guy was thinking. ‘Why would that girl make the poor cancer patient carry a heavy bag up three flights of stairs?’

0 comments: