March 05, 2008

Have a nice day SIR

A big smile to the greeter at Wal-Mart; the older man does try hard to communicate niceties to the busy rush of people. We made eye contact as I was pushing my cart out the door and he said, "Have a nice day SIR." This normal phrase brought a crush to my feminine heart.

I’ve often wondered how often people mistake me for a guy--especially in the winter time when bulky clothes loose gender specificity. I even have it in my head that if I wear big hoop earrings and heavier makeup I cannot be mistaken.

Still there are those moments like in Wal-Mart where someone does mistake me for a guy. An awkward correction follows or my gender remains mistaken. The essence of my womanhood does not want to be called sir. Just when I think I'm strong enough to accept the beauty of my image a simple mistake wounds my heart.

The biggest goal for me right now is not to get too frustrated by my sinking reaction to the word sir. In other words, I am allowed to experience a heart squeeze in the image healing process. Don’t get frustrated with your frustrations for in these moments a great strength can arise.

0 comments: