April 24, 2008

Video Store Guy

I really like the video store down the street. Great prices, convenient, and the video store guy rocks. When living with Alopecia, I often think that few people understand what I’m going through. Yes, I have tremendous support from family and friends, but it’s rare that you run into a stranger that understands.

Many months ago I noticed an employee at the video store who had a small nickel-shaped bald spot. I knew immediately he had some form of Alopecia, but I was not bold enough to bring up the subject. Saying I wasn’t bold is kind of funny. Here I was walking around the video store completely bald. The months went by and I noticed he had more bald spots and was shaving his head. Now I want to talk to him, but the lines are always long or someone needs his help.

Today, I finally got the moment to connect. We had a short conversation about our Alopecia journeys from childhood. We decided that I would pray that all his hair would fall out so he didn’t have to shave anymore, and he would pray that my hair would come back. How funny is that. A brief, but warming connection that I hope will spark future conversations and support.

0 comments: