October 31, 2008

Mirror, mirror

Shortly after the initial hair loss, I went through a short period of scalp regrowth, then it fell out again. I found this entry from my personal journal this morning. This was written 4 months after losing all my hair........

.....I wandered by the mirror today and you’ll never guess what I saw. So you guessed. I saw my reflection. Do you have to walk by a mirror to know what you look like? No. I knew when I looked into the glass that I would see a familiar face with deep blue eyes and ears that poke out a bit. A face with a small scar on the forehead that most people don’t notice; mom told me to stop itching my chicken pox.
A mirror is not needed to show me what I know is already there, but what happens when your reflection changes. Each time I walked by the mirror noticeable white skin was taking the place of my thick brown hair. By the third month, the skin was as smooth as a baby’s bald head. Maybe if I wander away from the mirror and then try a glimpse again the image that I knew would appear.

Rewind 15 years, as a child I was told that I had an immune disease that caused hair loss. The doctor said there was a potential that I could one day loose it all, but you never think worse case scenario.

For a time, walking by a mirror was needed to discover what I looked like.
My hair is slowly growing back now. Leaving me speechless by this time in my life. What I can put into words is that my mistakes this past year have been grand, and to see my heart being renewed is amazing.

0 comments: